Job Title: Librarian
Reporting Relationship: Associate Director for Academic Affairs
Span of Supervision: 1-3 staff members
Location: The Africa Institute (AI), Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Expected Starting Date: November 1, 2019 (or upon selection of a suitable candidate)
Academic Librarian will be a people-focused role, requiring individuals to manage learning resources while keeping the library users' needs in mind. The Librarian will work on establishing a state-of-the-art resource system for the use of faculty and students.
About the Africa Institute:
The AI is a newly-established, research-focused graduate studies institute and think tank.
AI is established as a cultural and academic unique addition to the study of Africa and its diaspora, in addition to its unique emphasis on Afro-Arab historical relations and linkages. AI will contribute to advancing knowledge production about Africa and its people, their social, cultural and intellectual heritage and contributions to human civilization at large. This will be accomplished through research, teaching, and contribution to the development of related academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. The institute is working to develop degree programs at the Masters and Ph.D. levels, in relation to Africa and the emerging studies of the global African diaspora, in addition to special diploma in African languages. For more information about AI check: theafricainstitute.org
- Determine the selection of available materials for use by faculty, students, visiting scholars, researchers, and the public at larger.
- Selecting, developing, cataloguing and classifying library resources
- Develop and index databases that provide information to library users
- Ensure availability of writing resources to students
- Answering visitors’ inquiries
- Ensure library is meeting the needs of all groups of users; faculty, postgraduate students, staff, and be attentive to special needs/disabled visitors
- Develop list of required IT facilities
- Assist readers to use computer equipment to conduct searches
- Plan with the Archivist the strategic directions for archiving materials acquisition
Master of Library Science, Master in Information Management or a related field. Reasonable knowledge of African and African Diaspora studies in relation to information sciences will be preferred.
Required Work Experience:
- A minimum 7 years of experience in a library in higher education setting
- Experience in developing innovative research services to enhance research and teaching
- Experience in providing copyright or licensing services in an academic setting.
- Experience in working with diverse staff
- Experience in managing team
- Excellent leadership and planning skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Respect to diversity and experience in working in multi-cultural environments
- English proficiency is a must. Additional language is an advantage (Arabic and/or French).
If you are interested, kindly send an email with your CV and a Cover Letter to the following email: email@example.com
Please mention the position you are applying for in the subject line.
"Salary and further compensation commensurate with degree and experience. Benefits package includes health insurance, housing and transportation, children school fees allowances subject to coordination of benefits."
“The Africa Institute is committed to fair employment practices and encourages women and men of all national, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply and join our expanding team. UAE nationals are encouraged to apply.”
Back to top